U.S. Army Medical Department
Weed Army Community Hospital
Patient Feedback (ICE)
Phone Numbers
Appointment Line
(866)957-9224 (WACH)

Directory Assistance

Nurse Advice Line
(800)TRICARE(874-2273) Option 1

Pharmacy Refill

Patient Advocacy
(866) 957-9224 Option 4

Weed Army Community Hospital
Physical Address:
Weed Army Community Hospital
390 North Loop Road,
Fort Irwin, CA, 92310
Business Hours:
Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
WACH History
On January 27, 1967, the ground breaking ceremony for Weed Army Hospital was held and the facility was dedicated by the Army Surgeon General LTG Leonard D. Heaton on April 24th, 1968. The need for a hospital was identified following the establishment of the United States Army Armor and Desert Training Center as Camp Irwin became Fort Irwin. The facility was dedicated in honor of BG Frank Watkins Weed (1881-1945), a Medical Officer and Surgeon that distinguished himself thru service in WWI and WWII. With overseas tours in France, China and the Philippines, he was be recognized for his advances in hygiene and sanitation within detention facilities; the medical evacuation of over 100,000 American wounded in France; and his authoring and editing “The Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War”, a 16 volume history of Army Medicine.

The 34-bed Weed Army Hospital was originally built at a cost of $2 million dollars and served a population of 1,000 personnel, it contained the most modern equipment available, to include televisions, radio, staff paging and public address system. The hospital remained in operation for two years until it was mothballed due to the deactivation of Fort Irwin in December 1970.

On October 26, 1980, after taking two years to become fully functional, the now 24 bed hospital was reactivated and became the Weed Army Community Hospital (WACH). At that time, WACH took care of 7, 000 beneficiaries with an estimated 3,000 Soldiers rotating thru the National Training Center for two weeks at a time.

Between 1980 and 2006 the hospital experienced multiple changes, enabling the medical teams to consistently meet the demands of the community. Separate from the hospital but vital to the healthcare mission on Fort Irwin, the Mary E. Walker Center was built in the mid 90s and began seeing primary care patients in 1997.

The ground breaking for the current Weed Army Community Hospital occurred on May 30, 2012. After a 14 month suspension due to unexploded ordinance on the site, construction resumed February 3, 2013. Major construction was completed June 29, 2017 and the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony was held on September 21, 2017. This two hundred sixty seven thousand square foot state of the art facility is over 85 percent larger than the former structure. The facility includes energy conservation, enhanced commissioning, and is the department of defense’s only LEED platinum, carbon neutral, net-zero certifiable hospital.

Today Weed Army Community Hospital is responsible for over 13,000 beneficiaries and over 53,000 rotational Soldiers as units train monthly at the Army’s premier training facility in preparation to deploy and win our Nations wars.

WACH is tobacco-free, which promotes a healthy environment for its patients, staff and visitors.