Soldier and Family Readiness Group
Stress Mangement Techniques
Reducing stress is important to your health and well being. Here are some ways you can reduce the stress in your life. Try different techniques until you find the ones that work for you.
- Exercise. Go to the gym with a friend. Take a daily walk.
- Maintain good eating habits.
- Read enjoyable books or magazines.
- Practice "active listening." Let others finish speaking without interruption, then respond.
- Have a special retreat at home. Initiate a "quiet time" at home.
- Slow down. Organize and manage your time. Prioritize your "to do" list.
- Take some free time for yourself each week.
- Be more flexible.
- Delegate some of your work to others when possible. You don't have to do it all.
- Learn to wait. When you have scheduled appointments, anticipate that you may have to wait. Bring along a book, or something to entertain yourself.
- Remind yourself that living is always an unfinished business.
- When confronted with a problem, ask yourself, "Will this matter next week or next year?"
- Widen your cultural and intellectual horizons with plays, concerts, museums, etc.
- Open yourself to new friendships.