Soldier and Family Readiness Group
Crime Prevention & Safety
Safety and security should be special concerns during deployments. The following precautions should be emphasized:
- If your apartment or house does not have a peephole in the door, install one.
- If outside doors do not have deadbolt locks, install them.
- Windows should have good locks to prevent them from being opened from the outside
- A phone is a necessity for security and communication.
- Post emergency telephone numbers and procedures by the telephone.
- Keep a whistle near the phone and use it if you are receiving obscene or nuisance calls.
- Protect your telephone chain roster. Do not give out other people's telephone numbers without their permission.
- Plan escape routes in case of fire, burglary or other emergencies and make sure all family members can use them.
- Leave an extra key with a trusted neighbor or friend for emergencies.
- Carpool to evening functions with at least one other spouse.
Off post families, especially those overseas, should be advised not to put up yellow ribbons or banners that call attention to their quarters as being those of deployed soldiers.